It's Eat Local Challenge time around here, and we have five days to go before a month of eating locally. I am going to be in Southern California for the first few days of the challenge, so will try my best to eat locally here.
I'm asking Eat Local Challenge participants to make a statement of participation for their personal challenges and thought I'd outline mine as well. My goals for the month are as follows:
1. What's your definition of local for this challenge? Local will be anything within 100 miles of where I am. When traveling, I will do my best to cook with local ingredients.
2. What exemptions will you claim?
- Coffee from local roasters.
- Spices when I can't find a local substitute.
- Rice will be purchased from Massa Organics, which is 166 miles from San Francisco.
- When eating out, anything is game at a restaurant that makes a claim of supporting local producers. I will do my best to eat out only at restaurants that support local producers.
- I will not turn down anything made for me or offered in friendship or love.
3. What are your goals for the month? To try really integrating a local diet into a social life that doesn't always allow that. To never make others feel uncomfortable with the choices that I have made for my own diet. To figure out how to eat locally in a more budget-effective manner.